Re: [oletrucks] Pitman and steering arm ball help

To: "Rich Gallagher" <rgallagrrr@mcn.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Pitman and steering arm ball help
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:53:06 -0600
I see that no one responded to you through the list & I have been through
this SO... here goes:

To remove the pitman arm, remove the large nut holding the pitman arm on.
Next get a "pitman arm puller" tool (yes, this is a specific tool-most gear
pullers won't work).  Try to get a free loaner at your FLAPS.

After pulling the pitman arm, remove the steering knuckle from the wheel
(two nuts holding it to the back of the hub).  Take the two parts to a
machine shop (unless you have the tools) & they will have to grind the back
side of the parts (opposite the balls) in order to remove the "mushroomed"
shaft that is created during manufacture.  Then press the balls out from the
back side (mine took over 10 tons of pressure to remove).

If you want to go back to "original" style (pressed in), have the new parts
with you & get the shop to press them in & "mushroom" the backs again.  If
you want to use the bolt in type, take the pitman arm & steering knuckle
home & bolt the new balls in.

I got bolt in balls from Jim Carter (he also has the press in type).

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX