Re: [oletrucks] Homemade Blasting Cabinets

To: "Mike Stone" <mrston@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Homemade Blasting Cabinets
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:18:22 -0500
I purchased a ready made cabinet from TIP Tools. They also have a nice set
of plans to build one ($7.50) and then they also carry all the misc hardware
to go with it. The good news is, you can make it any size you want. Having
one big enough for fenders would be great, but that would be one HUGE
cabinet. You not only need it big enough to fit the fenders, but large
enough to spray around them. Mine is not that big, but I can use the
blasting gun with a bucket of media and go outside and blast fenders and
larger parts.

The blast cabinet has been my most used and most important tool. I wanted to
ask everyone how much are you paying for silica? TIP wants about $25.00 for
a 50 pound bag. The local auto parts store wants $32.00. Shipping from TIP
would make it about the same. Also, when you run across chrome parts or
polished steel parts is there a media a person can use to clean those? I
just use steel wool on those but the thought occured to me that maybe I am
missing something.

Since I am doing a full resto, every nut, bolt, washer gets blasted before
primer and paint. The blast cabinet is a necessity for the perfectionist. If
you call TIP they will send you a catalog that is quite impressive as far as
blasting equipment. It gives dimensions for all of their cabinets so you can
get a better idea of what is standard. TIP's number is 800 321-9260.

Deve
50 3100
49 3600
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html