[oletrucks] So many questions...So little knowlege

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] So many questions...So little knowlege
From: "John Rockefeller" <dbr@powerweb.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 00:17:18 -0500
OK, I'm about to show my mechanical incompotence!  I have a 1949 3100
with what was told to me to be an engine from a 1951 3100.  How do I tell
what the engine size is?  There has to be some kind of numbering system
for the engine, but where?  This engine has been tinkered with several
times,
including by me.  But when I did my work I always assumed that it was a 235
engine.  Does this sound corrrect for a 51?

Now for the second stupid question.  I would love to upgrade the rear end
with
a better gear ratio.  Now being a somewhat lousy back yard mechanic, is
there
an easy way to do this?  I saw a kit in one of the parts books that is
supposed to
make it easier to do 65mph, does this work?  And how easy is it to do?  I
really
don't want to invest $400.00 in the parts, only to find out that I can't do
the
job myself.  Would I be better off just replacing the rear end with one
from a
blazer?   And if so what is a reasonable price to pay for a junk yard rear
end?

So many questions and so little knowledge on my part.  Thanks for the help
guys and gals.

John "Rock" Rockefeller
1949 3100 "Eeyore"