[oletrucks] Hydra-matic Hop-Up parts available?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Hydra-matic Hop-Up parts available?
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:49:00 EDT
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if there were ever any retrofit kits made in the 40's or 50's
to put a torque converter on the Hydra-matics? I've heard these Hydros were
beefed up and made better than bulletproof on the dragstrips back in their
day, but I can't imagine these things performing with their torus member type
fluid coupling. Is there any way to get a power glide TC or even a later
turbo hydro unit to fit? Can the stock torus unit be retrofitted with torque
converter guts?

Who knows about this stuff? I'm 17 and it seams like there's a good chance
anybody who was racing Hydro's in the late 40's is no longer around. Is there
anybody left out there that cares about this stuff? I think It'd be pretty
cool to stick an old built 4-spd Hydra-matic behind my 375 horse 270 Jimmy! I
figure it's got darn near the same characteristics as a 700R4!

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons
48 GMC 3/4 ton