Re: [oletrucks] Brakes

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brakes
From: bob_keeland@usgs.gov
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:08:50 -0500
I once put the two long shoes on one rear wheel and the two short shoes on
the other rear wheel of a Chevy S-10 pickup.  I had no problem getting them
on, but they sure did wear out fast (on one side).

BobK
'51 3600 5-window project
Arnaudville, LA

Just a thought I had as I read your note.  Are the
shoes on correctly, what I mean is on most (not all)
drum brakes the shoes are self actuating.  When the
front shoe comes into contact with the drum the
rotation of the drum causes the whole shoe assembly to
twist against the back portion of the drum greatly
increasing the friction and providing more stopping
power.  In order to accomplish this without prematurly
wearing out the back shoe the lining on the back shoe
on each side is longer and harder than the front shoe.

If both front shoes were installed on one side of the
car and both rear shoes were installed on the other
you might have the kind of interference you are
describing.  I did this once on a 69Ford Galaxie (I
know this is a Chevy forum, but this was one of the
best cars I've ever owned) and had similar problems.
If this doesn't apply no hard feelings.

I like reading about this kind of stuff, It brings
back my training in auto mechanics school.

Byron
Some day soon owner of an AD Truck
--- "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net> wrote:
> This is a little off topic, but trucks are subject
> to the same problem, so
> the discussion should be educational.
>
> As you may know, I've been obliged to rebuild the
> rear brakes on my 55
> thunderbird.  I've replaced everything including
> springs, and cleaned the
> wheel cyllinders and put new parts in them.  I also
> had the drums turned.
>
> The problem is that I can't get one of the drums to
> go on.  I've pushed and
> pulled on everything, and the shoes just don't want
> to retract anymore.  I'm
> still a sixteenth or so away from getting the drum
> to clear.  I tried
> switching the drums, but they're both about the
> same.
>
> Is there somewhere I can grind to get more
> retraction?
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Grant S.
> 54 3100 (mostly all there)
> 54 3100 (mostly not there)
> 55 1st 3100 (mostly rust)
> Los Angeles, CA
>

> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com