Re: [oletrucks] Mig Welder

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mig Welder
From: Mark Mintmier <tenisguy@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:01:31 -0400
I've been reading (and saving) the messages over the past couple months
about welders, and I'd really like to be able to do my own welding on my
truck.  I know next to nothing about welding, but I'm anxious to learn.
I've read all the suggestions of the Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, etc. welders,
but I've come across what seems like a pretty good deal and wanted a more
informed opinion.  Racers Toolbox has a Firepower brand mig welder for sale
with the following specs: 115V, welds with solid or flux core wire, 2lb.
and 10lb. wire spool capacity, four position welding power control,
illuminated thermal overload indicator, and thermostatic heat protection.
It comes with a Firepower argon regulator, 10ft., a Tweco MIG gun, 6ft.
grounded cable and work clamp, 6ft. power cord, welding nozzle and tip,
spool of .030 MIG welding wire, and instruction manual.  Best of all, it
also includes a "free" auto darkening helmet, all for $459.99.  My question
to the group is would this be a good setup for a beginner?  The helmet in
the picture looks to be the same helmet sold separately for $209.99.  Is
this a good deal at $459 for the welder and the auto darkening helmet?
Lastly, is Firepower an acceptable brand, or should it be avoided?

Thanks for all input.

Mark Mintmier
1950 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy 3100
Johnstown, PA

--
Want to get paid for something you're already doing?
Go here: http://home1.gte.net/tenisguy/clickdough.html