Re: [oletrucks] Dream Truck

To: Donald Short <web22bki@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Dream Truck
From: "Alan D. Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:42:48 -0600
Donald Short wrote:

> Hi All,
> I was looking at some old car magazines today and came across an article
> about one of the first hot rod pickups. Some of the old timers out there
> might remember it. It was called the Dream Truck, built in 1957 using a 1950
> 1/2 ton Chevy. It was built by the guys at Rod & Custom Magazine and made
> one show before bieng destroyed in an auto accident. The truck was featured
> in the July 1957 issue of Rod & Custom, of which a friend has an original
> copy. If anyone out there remembers this truck and would like a picture of
> the cover, in color, hit me off list and I will be glad to send you a copy.
>
> Donald Short
> 51 3100
> Barstow, CA
> http://dwshort.tripod.com

Hi Donald,

    That is one sweet custom truck! It was actually started in the early 50's,
and was the recipient of the very first Chevy smallblock swap in late '54. It
was commissioned by Rod and Custom Magazine, but built by a number of different
custom shops of the day. It was shown at a number of shows before it was
totaled, and in many different forms and paint schemes. It was debuted without
the funky custom finned box, and I believe it was a greenish colour at that
time. It was later painted light pearl purple, then the white that most of us
know. As far as I know the box was built at the Barris shop, later in the
truck's life.
It was rescued in the late 70's and totally restored to its former glory, and is
now owned by Kurt McKormick.
btw...I'm not an old-timer (37), but this happens to be my favorite truck of all
time. :-)

--
Alan & Karen Gingles
Calgary, Alberta