Re: [oletrucks] New to the list

To: "Whittaker Bill G Civ ASC/SMY" <Bill.Whittaker@wpafb.af.mil>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] New to the list
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:27:45 -0400
Bill,

    Sounds like a very nice setup, the Hemi will definitely be a welcome
change from the belly-button small blocks.

    The solid axle front end can be made to stop and steer pretty well, but
the stock springs are short, stiff, and will have you checking your fillings
after a ride on any kind of rough road. If you are used to an IFS, you won't
be too happy with the ride. As I and others on this list can confirm, once
you add up the cost of king pins, wheel bearings, rebuilding springs etc,
you will have spent a pretty good bit of change. Add the disk brake kit and
power steering and the total will probably be close to that of a Mustang II.
Also, there is no good way to lower the truck much with the beam axle.

     You are the first rodder I've ever heard admit to a pro-street ride
being uncomfortable to drive for any extended periods. Could you expand a
little? I've heard the wide rear tires tend to make the vehicle want to
resist steering, is this what you mean?

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL