RE: [oletrucks] 6V- 12V

To: "'john dorsey'" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 6V- 12V
From: Jon Elerath <jelerath@home.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:41:08 -0700
The ballast resistor is actually to reduce the voltage during driving.  The
car starts on 12 volts through a bypass circuit, then when the key is moved
to the "run" position, the car runs on 6 volts (or close to it).  This
reduction in voltage reduces the spark in the points and keeps them from
pitting as quickly.

Voltage is what allows a spark to jump.  Think of static electricity in the
winter.  A person can easily generate 20,000 to 50,000 volts in a visible
spark.  Fortunately the current is extremely low so we don't fry.

Jon
'53