Re: [oletrucks] Maine will crush your truck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Maine will crush your truck
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 07:50:09 EDT
I didn't see where they state how much but it's usually a pretty small sum in
exchange, $500 to $1000 maybe.  I notice that all vehicles I own would fit in
this category. . .even ones that I consider "new". . . maybe I would start to
consider it for $100K per vehicle. . .

What really concerns me is that it's not a very large leap from voluntary
programs to mandatory laws to get these "evil polluting" vehicles off of the
road.  Gore very seriously wants to kill the internal combustion engine
altogether.  As a subcontractor to the Department of Energy (my area is
robotics for hazardous waste cleanup), you guys would get seriously riled at
the things I hear.  The fact that CA's dictates on zero emissions vehicles
have turned out to be a flop doesn't seem to have deterred the Feds at all.
Bush encourages the car crush programs as credits for polluting industries so
neither of them are good on this topic as far as auto enthusiasts go.  There
may come a time in this decade when the only way to keep an old truck on the
road is to update the engine to the new superlow emissions standards.

I haven't heard a peep out of TN on this topic, but they are increasing
focused on the idea that old vehicle are junk and not treasures.

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN
58/56 Chevy Suburban
59 GMC Suburban