Re: [oletrucks] Maine will crush your truck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Maine will crush your truck
From: bob_keeland@usgs.gov
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:33:18 -0500
I guess that I have to disagree (somewhat) with Brad on adding a bit of
technology and gun control.  First off, I've hunted since I was a kid and
currently own several guns, but I am in favor of gun control to some
extent.  Waiting periods and background checks are both EXCELLENT ideas.
No one who did not have a gun 5 minutes ago really needs one RIGHT NOW!  If
someone is pissed off, they should cool down before buying a gun!  If
someone has a record of shooting people with guns, then perhaps they should
not be able to buy a gun through normal, legal channels (not that you can
stop them totally).  I enjoy the freedom of not being shot by some high
school punk that just flunked a test or broke up with his girl friend, or
by some gang member who thought that I was giving another gangs sign when I
was just wiping sweat from my face (we do that a lot in south Louisiana).
Limited gun control is reasonable.

Adding some modern technology to old engines is also reasonable.  Reducing
pollution is not something bureaucrats do just because they can push people
around.  It is something we should all do because we enjoy breathing clean
air and drinking clean water.  Can any of you say that you have never been
to a big city (Los Angeles, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Houston, etc.) and not
seen the yellow haze of junk that they call air?  Does anyone think that
that stuff is vitamins that are good for you?  I was recently walking
through a forest in drought stricken Louisiana and saw an area where water
was bubbling up from the ground.  This should be good in a drought, but
everything in the area was dead or dying.  Dead grass, dead weeds, and
dying trees.  Beyond the influence of the water everything was wilted but
looked fine otherwise.  I don't know what was in that water, but I
certainly would not want to drink it.  I have a similar feeling when
sitting in a traffic jam breathing the exhaust fumes of all the cars and
trucks.

Making our trucks (old or otherwise) pollute less is a very REASONABLE
thing to do.  I like the idea of leaving the air and water better for my
kids and grandkids, not worse.  If you want to fight excess laws concerning
guns, old trucks, or whatever, fight those that are UNREASONABLE, not those
that are reasonable.

Sorry for getting up on my soapbox, but there are some things that people
should do because it is right, not because someone told them to do it.

BobK
51 3600 5-window (project)
Arnaudville, LA