RE: [oletrucks] RE: IFS, but not to open any can or worms again

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] RE: IFS, but not to open any can or worms again
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:57:07 -0500 (CDT)
Most buildings and bridges nowdays are field assembled with bolts.  When I
worked for USS, we had a lot of general rules for welding on structural
shapes, most of which would apply to cars.  The basic one was to never weld
across the member, always weld the long way.  The reason is that you often
can't control sharp points, pits, slag inclusions, or welds where some of
the parent metal was taken up into the bead, leaving a hollow area of
reduced thickness.  These are all areas where cracks can start.  If welded
lengthways, the cracks are less likely to propogate to the edge of the
member and will not make it fail.

Proper strength bolts in drilled holes with sufficient metal around them
are very unlikely to crack or start cracks.  The main problem is to torque
the bolt up tight enough to lock the two metal pieces together.  You can
use tricks like cupped washers or you can just tighten them up a few times
after they break in  You can also use things like lock nuts, loktite,
cotter pins, and fine threads to help keep a bolt from coming loose.

If two pieces of clean metal are joined together with properly strong bolts
(those hash marks on the heads aren't just to make them look pretty) in
reasonably tight holes, the joint will not come apart on its own.  Loktite,
lock washers, and lock bolts are just insurance against problems.

Another interesting thing, say the torque on a joint puts 500 pounds of
tensile stress on a bolt joining two pieces of metal together.  If you pull
the two pieces of metal apart, the stress in the bolt will not increase
until you are pulling with more than 500 pounds of force.  An example would
be the head bolts in an engine.  Because there are a lot of bolts and they
are torqued very tightly, there is no more tensile stress on the bolts when
the engine is running than when it is stopped hot, and there is more stress
when it is cold and the bolt has shrunk.

In a properly designed joint, the bolts only hold things together anyways.
The two pieces of steel are arranged so that the real force is transmitted
by the overlapping metal.  In short, I have no problem trusting my life to
a proper bolted joint.  We all do it every day.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN