[oletrucks] Tranny for 235 in '46 2-ton

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Tranny for 235 in '46 2-ton
From: NTemple46@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:17:38 EDT
Please bear with me as I am a new subscriber to the list and new to the truck
restoration field as well.  Hopefully these questions are clear and haven't
already been covered by the group.  I am working on a '46 2-ton chevy with a
dump bed.  Currently it runs the 216 but I will be acquiring a recently
rebuilt and slightly upgraded 235 in a month or so.  I am considering
changing out the tranny when I make the engine swap.  I have the stock four
speed right now (non-synchro) with a three speed (plus PTO for the dump)
brownie box behind the cab and the single speed rear end.  My hope is to get
away with a more efficient and smoother main trannie while using the brownie
box when I need to get the really low gearing.  I drove the truck that has
the engine I will be purchasing (a late 50's half ton) and it has a 4 speed
Saginaw tranny hooked up to it.  It was very smooth and a pleasure to drive.
I am not sure if this tranny will hold up to the rigors of a two-ton or not?
I have also heard that a "toploader" tranny might be a good choice.  I know
little to nothing about either except that the Saginaw is a direct bolt-on.
Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.  Also, is there
a power steering unit that works in the 41-46 trucks without too much
modification?  I am trying to keep the truck as stock as possible while
making it reliable and efficient for daily use in my construction business.
Thanks.

Neil