Re: [oletrucks] 1959 APACHE 21 SUSPENSION HELP

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1959 APACHE 21 SUSPENSION HELP
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:37:53 GMT
Scott,

I have stock suspension on my AD and had a real problem with bump steer.  I
had a real close call with a semi truck of the large red variety so I
decided to have my king pins, suspension and steering redone by the pros.
$2000.00+ later the alignment guy comes back from a test drive and declares
the truck complete.  He then suggested that I put radials on cause the bias
ply will always try to track the ruts in asphalt.  He then described the
close call he just had in my truck with a truck of the large blue variety.
I took his advise and got radials.  Now I can steer with one finger.  No
more two fisted white knuckle driving for me.  Get some radial tires.  They
sure make driving a lot more pleasurable.

I DRIVE MY TRUCK EVERYDAY BUT IT HAS A LOT OF BUMPSTEER AND INSTABILITY AT
ALL SPEEDS.  I'VE BECOME GOOD AT MANAGING IT BUT WAS WONDERING IF THERE ARE
REMEDIES OUT THERE LIKE A PANHARD BAR OR GETTING NEW TIE ROD ENDS? OR IS
THIS NORMAL FOR AN OLD TRUCK.  IT HAS THE ORIGINAL STRAIGHT AXLE
>THANKS IN ADVANCE
>SCOTT

Durwood
51 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window