Re: [oletrucks] Please help my GMC and I!!!

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <EDigler2@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Please help my GMC and I!!!
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:48:51 -0400
Ethan,

The information you were given is correct. There were two-carb intakes made
for the small-port GMC head, but no triples (McGurk and Howard made triple
manifolds but these were for the large-port 270 and 302). These were
intended for racing only - no heat - and the 270/302  were the GMC's most
racers used. Actually some models of the Howard and McGurk intakes will
accept up to 5 Stromberg 97 carbs.

I have to wonder why you want to run 3 carburetors, especially on an engine
like the 228 which has limited performance potential. 3 carbs provide
little, if any, performance increase for the street. Fuel mileage and
driveability will be poor, linkage is a major pain, and the rear carb will
hit the firewall and force you to run without the fender-to-firewall brace
on the driver's side. Not a good idea.

I would recommend you stay with a dual intake unless you are a masochist.
Or, if you really want some grunt from your GMC, replace the 228 with one of
it's larger brothers. 270 and 302 GMC's are (almost) a bolt-in replacement
for the 228. Exterior dimensions are the same, motor mounts and bellhousing
are interchangeable, water pumps & pulleys identical etc.

As for the vendor's offer to convert an Offy 3 x 1, this would not be a
difficult conversion, but for reasons mentioned above, why bother?

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL
former 3-carb masochist