Re: [oletrucks] Disquised 235's

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Disquised 235's
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:20:10 -0400
Deve et al,

    The term "Harmonic Balancer" is something of a misnomer, as it doesn't
really "balance" anything. It is referred to in the GMC manuals as a
"crankshaft damper" which reflects it's true purpose, which is to dampen
torsional vibration from the crankshaft, inherent in any inline engine. The
bigger the "damper", the more rubber it contains, and the better it can do
it's job. The 235 has a longer stroke than the 216, so it needs more
damping. In theory at least, it's likely that by using a 216 pulley, the
damping effect will be reduced, perhaps causing the damper and pulley, as
well as the flywheel on the other end, to eventually loosen and come off.

    This happened to me with a stock 228 GMC engine, not from swapping
parts, but just due to normal wear and deterioration of the damper/pulley
assembly. It was not a pretty result, taking the fan and radiator out when
it happened.

    All of the above is mainly a concern at higher (>3000 RPM) engine
speeds. So it may be that you can get away with the smaller damper/pulley if
you don't push things too hard. Drilling the snout of the crank for a
retainer bolt would eliminate the problem, but you may be reluctant to do
this...at least be aware of the onset of a light "knocking" noise that seems
to come from the water pump area. It can often be traced back to a loose
damper/pulley.

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL