Re: [oletrucks] Alkaline Degreaser Bath

To: Michael Mendonca <mm@service-quality.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Alkaline Degreaser Bath
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:10:47 -0400
Hi Michael
I think that is a misprint. I suspect it is supposed to be 2.4 oz per
gallon. That would make 96 ozs for 40 gallons, which is inline with his
second statement.
I for one would not want to mess with 24 oz to the gallon.

At 09:22 AM 10/09/2000 -0700, Michael Mendonca wrote:
>I'm reading my "How to Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup" book from Tom
Brownell, 1991.  In his section on how to make an alkaline bath, he says he
uses 24 oz of lye (Drano) per gallon of water.  Then, however, he goes on
to say he puts 96-120 oz of lye in 40 gallons of water.  This changes his
original ratio by over 8 times (more diluted).  Does anyone else have a
"recipe" for degreaser bath?  Thank you.

>Michael
>'54 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton

Bill Bailey
Danville, Virginia