Re: [oletrucks] introduction

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] introduction
From: SnappyDog1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:04:39 EDT
Hi Carl.

As for the steering, get someone to sit inside and lightly nudge the wheel
back and forth while you crawl under to see where the slop is coming from.
Jack up each of the front wheels one at a time and wiggle them up and down to
check for worn king pins.  That should help narrow down the source of your
problem.

>From the horrible slop in the front end of my '53, I assumed I'd have to
replace everything.
In my case, it turned out that the previous owner had left the washers off
behind the castle nuts that hold the bottom of the wheel backing plates,
steering knuckles, and steering arms together.  Without the washers, the
castle nuts were tightened down 1/8" below the hole in the bolt where the
cotter pin goes, so there was nothing to stop them from loosening back out
that 1/8".  An 1/8 of an inch at the knuckle translates to two or three inchs
of play at the outside of the tire.  Four 12 cent washers and my steering
couldn't be nicer.  I'm as happy as a clam.  But then I like the way old
trucks steer, can't abide power steering, so it's a matter of preference as
long as the components are safe and it goes where you point it.

Barrett Revis
Sparks, NV

'53 3105
'48 3105