[oletrucks] Weight of a stripped down 1/2 ton cab

Subject: [oletrucks] Weight of a stripped down 1/2 ton cab
From: WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:38:44 -0600
Dear list,

I am just about at the point of undoing the mounting bolts and pulling
the cab of my 1/2 ton 5 window cab.  I have several questions before
doing this however:

1.  How many strong men/women will it take to lift off a stripped down
cab (ie. no gas tank, seats, or doors)??

2.  Is it adviseable to remove the glass (especially those hard to
replace curved corner glass pieces before pulling off the cab?

3.  If the answer to #2 is YES is it OK to simply cut the rubber to
release the glass (old dry rubber which would be replaced anyway!)

Once the cab and bed are off I can get serious about cleaning and
setting up the frame for a mild small block chev/TH350 combination.  I
will not be racing or installing a blown big block so I'm wondering if
it is necessary to box the frame?

I look forward to any and all thoughts, opinions etc.

Thanks,

Gordon Wilhelm
1951 GMC 5 window 1/2 ton