Re: [oletrucks] 55 1st Rear End

To: dkrehbiel@kscable.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 1st Rear End
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:53:48 EDT
In a message dated 10/25/00 3:40:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dkrehbiel@kscable.com writes:

> Since 1955 1st series was the first open driveline, I am hoping they also
>  increased the gear ratio. Can anyone tell me what a 55 1st 3100's gear
ratio
>  is in the rear end? Also, what would you suggest for a 261 engine with
>  overdrive transmission and that rear end for an optimal gear ratio?
>  Is there any way to tell the gear ratio yourself?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Deve Krehbiel
>  Hesston, Kansas
>  1950 3100 * 1949 3600 * 1948 4400

  Deve,

  This is what I can tell ya about my '59...235 w/3.55's and 30.5 inch tall
tires...I could easily add OD and have plently of highway power and
torque...problem with going to a higher geared (lower numerically) rearend,
is taking off in 2nd (4spd granny) is about as high as I'd want it to be easy
on the clutch....

  Mike