[oletrucks] S-10 Tailshaft

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] S-10 Tailshaft
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:46:52 -0500
I had this problem in a t-5 I had also. I think it is  likely that you
need
to re-shim the end play of the main shaft. It uses tapered roller
bearings.
Any end play results in a sloppy bearings, evidenced by a play in the
tail
shaft. This is just like leaving the nut very loose on a wheel bearing.
Shims are cheap, located right inside the input shaft bearing retainer.
However you have to disassemble almost the entire tranny , or all the
covers and tailshaft to do this. Instructions can be found in Chilton's
or
Motor's manual at you local library. Dial indicator is necessary. It's
the
same for Vega's,  Jeeps, and Camaro's. Since you will have everything
apart
anyhow, you might want to examine the bearings to make sure they are in
good shape. I didn't follow my own advice when I did mine, just
re-shimmed
and have used it for 25K now.

Grant

Ben Bennett wrote:

> I think the bearing in my ST10 tailshaft (if there is one) must be
> worn. The truck vibrates and I can move the driveshaft a little up
> and down in the tailshaft. Can I pull the tailshaft off without
> pulling the transmission? Can I replace the bearing myself? Is
> there a bearing?
> --
> Ben Bennett
> He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead
1959