Re: [oletrucks] a little advice...please

To: roliver@cablelan.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] a little advice...please
From: "Alan D. Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:36:45 -0700
roliver@cablelan.net wrote:

>   Hello;
>   I`ve been a "lurker",picking and choosing bits of wisdom from the
> list members.I thank you all for your knowledge and willingness to
> share it.After a lot of time and as little money as possible,I have
> collected most of the parts needed to modernize my `49 GMC.I
> have obtained a Pacer front end and the kit to install it,stroked a
> 350/383...puts out just over 450 horse....using a Ford 9" rear end.
>   now the questions
>  1)what automatic transmission would you guys suggest...a friend
>   suggested I use a 2 speed hydromatic
>  2)looking for the best  60/40 power bench seat
>  3)is there a gas tank that will fit between the frame rails or am I
>    better off to spend the bucks and buy a custom tank
>  4)tilt column ....buy an ididit ...or is there a factory column that will
>     work well?
>  5)any suggestions on a power brake set up ...buy a kit (which
>     one?) or use a factory set up and do any modification
>     needed...I`d like to, keep it as simple as possible
>     That`s it for my questions..... thanks in advance .....in the spring
>      will have a bunch of stock parts for sale (those Yankee bucks
>     are real valuable north of the 49th)I am about an hour north of
>    Orville ,Washington.
>                                                      Thanks,
>                                                    Bob Oliver
>                                                      `49 GMC

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the list, it's nice to see yet another Canuck in here! :-)
I built a '48 Chevy p/u a couple summers ago that I'm using as a daily driver
now.
Hopefully I can help answer a few of your questions.
# 1    Unless it's a drag race only truck, don't bother with a 2-speed
transmission. A Turbo 350, 400, or 700R4 will work quite well. I have a T350
behind the 350sb in my truck.

# 2    I used a power 60/40 split bench from a 1979 Chrysler LeBaron, and it
fit almost like it was made too. If you get one from a 2-door like mine is, it
will tilt forward to give you access to the space behind the seat. You'll have
to fabricate the seat base for it, but that's fairly easy to do. I made mine
from 1 x 1 steel tubing.

# 3    Not sure, I have a stock tank.

# 4    I used a tilt column from a '77 Pontiac Paresienne Brougham. If you
don't mind having a column shift, it works great!

# 5    I used the power brake assembly from the same '77 Pontiac. I had to
make up a few brackets to help brace the firewall, but again, it worked fine.

If you'd like to see pics of the truck, check out the 4 pages of the buildup
starting on this page:
http://www.nucleus.com/~agingles/ALAN5.HTM

Hope that helps a bit, and if you have any other questions, please feel free
to ask.

Alan
--
Alan & Karen Gingles