Re: [oletrucks] a little advice...please

To: <roliver@cablelan.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] a little advice...please
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:55:08 -0800
Hi Bob,

Here's my recommendation on parts:

1)what automatic transmission would you guys suggest...a friend
>  suggested I use a 2 speed hydromatic

Stay away from the power glides  because after awhile your going to be
wishing you had that 3rd or even 4th gear.  I'd recommend a 700 R4.    Can
you imagine what that motor will do with that extra low first gear in the
700 R4 with all the toque the stroker motor is supposed to produce.  Plus
you'll have the over-drive to get some gas mileage.

> 2)looking for the best  60/40 power bench seat

I have the 60/40 unit out of a Brougham "the kind with those weird looking
pillows which I had them remove" and it went in like it was made for the
truck.  I did have to make the seat brackets.

> 3)is there a gas tank that will fit between the frame rails or am I better
off to spend the bucks and buy a custom tank

Their are tanks that you can get to fit behind the rearend but I'd say
"spend the money on a custom made unit.  I made a 22 1/2 gallon Stainless
Steel one for my truck and boy am I happy that I did with the gas mileage
that I get!  It's nice to have the extra carry space behind the seat.

> 4)tilt column ....buy an ididit ...or is there a factory column that will
work well?

Columns from most of the GM cars in the 70 to 80's will work in the AD's.
If you need column lengths let me know and I'll go out and measure the one
in my truck.

> 5)any suggestions on a power brake set up ...buy a kit (which one?) or use
a factory set up and do any modification needed...I`d like to, keep it as
simple as possible

Simple as possible would be to buy the after-market  power brake kit that
uses the original pedal.  That's more expensive though.  I just pulled the
swing pedal assembly out of a GM car and modified the under dash  bracket
and pedal length to work in my truck.  I think I paid a whole $85.00
counting the 2 residual pressure valves and the adjustable proportioning
valve.

Joe Garcia
Yuba City, CA
1950 Chevrolet 3100