[oletrucks] That radio hole in the dash

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] That radio hole in the dash
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:43:19 -0700
Hi...looking for feedback on my dilemna.

I have this 57 Suburban that I'm building.  I moved
stuff around in the shop today, so I could start
attacking the body work.  First thing was to get all
the sand out from sandblasting it...boy, that's a
lot of sand!  I had swept it out pretty well when I
blasted it a couple years ago, so I went after it
with the shop vac.  I expect I'll have to repeat the
process several times, especially after I start
banging dents.

The dash in this ole truck is cherry original, and
it came with the original radio and speaker.  I
don't listen to AM radio, I listen to FM, and CDs.
In my other two trucks (both 59s), I have later type
radios hung in different places..the orange truck
has it under the dash, the other has add on a/c
under the dash, so the radio is over the drivers
side sun visor.   Both of these mountings work ok,
but it's not easy to see the radio, especially when
paying attention to traffic.  Also, they look like
sore thumbs.  So, I'm pretty sure I want to go ahead
and put a radio/CD player in the dash of the
Suburban.  I want to make it look good, so I expect
I'll have to cut out a big chunk of the dash, and
weld in a new piece.  After seeing so many cut up
dashes, and reading the horror stories of folks
trying to fix them to get the original radio to fit
again, I'm kind of hesitant.  However, I really
don't see any good reason not to make the
modification.  The original radio looks neat, but
it's just not practical for me.

Any ideas?

Jim F
59s in AZ