Re: [oletrucks] Sandblast Cabinet

To: <NTemple46@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Sandblast Cabinet
From: "Jon Kunkel" <jonkunkel@home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:21:08 -0600
I purchased the small blast cabinet from Eastwood, and they sent a tube of
silicone sealant with the cabinet to seal the joints.  I also have a large
one too.

Best investment I made, what doesn't fit in the cabinet I did on my
driveway.  I did opt for a foot pedal as your hands get very tired after
sandblasting.  I have 4 different guns I use, acquired them through my
travels at car shows, bought them cheap.  Also a good Shopvac to connect to
the back as this will keep dust down.  Put a foam covering over your filter
as the fine dust will ruin the filter cartridge after just one good use of
the sandblaster cabinet.  Do not blast towards the glass either as this will
cause permanent frosting of the glass and you will not be able to see
through this area.  Also use a good outside light source through the glass
area as the light inside takes up room and usually don't last long.

Make sure you use a water separator before the foot pedal, to keep moisture
away.  I go to a local mineral place and pick up 120 grit aluminum oxide,
works great and lasts about 3 months ( 2 50# bags), I am sandblasting parts
at least twice a week.  If you sandblast with sand, which I highly
discourage as the sand can get into your lungs and cause a condition called
"Silicosis" and your lungs are permanently damaged.  I know a few friends of
my father and they have a very difficult time breathing even with a portable
oxygen tank.

However I do use playsand in my portable sandblaster.  But I wear an
industrial mask/air filtration system when I do use playsand.  It is very
cheap,  all you have to do is put a small tarp down, cut open the bags and
spread the sand out in the sun and let it dry.  Can't do this if it is below
70's though as the sand will not dry.  Easy cleanup as I have a stone area
aside of my driveway and I just brush whatever is left into there.

Make sure you have plenty of  tips, as I go through about 15 to 20 per 3
months.  They can be expensive so shop around.  I currently use the Sears
gun, and their tips do last longer as they are ceramic.  But they do cost
more than 3 regular tips.  The big problem is making sure you do not try to
sandblast grease and any soft gooey stuff, like undercoating.  Sandblasting
will not remove this very well if at all.  Paint and rust it removes great.
For the grease and gooey stuff use a wire brush, wire wheel, dremel, putty
knife, degreaser or whatever works.

Jon 50 3104
Chicago burbs