Re: [oletrucks] Wet sanding

To: "tcape" <tcape@weblnk.net>, "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wet sanding
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:11:04 -0800
Tom, wet sanding is done with paper made with impermeable adhesive and paper
stock.  Ordinary sandpaper falls apart quickly in water.  Trere are two
reasons sanding is done wet.  First, the finish wet is much finer than the
same finish dry.  As far as I know,sanding at 500 to 3000 grit is always
done wet.

Secondly, it is much easier to sand wet than dry.  The water keeps the paper
from clogging, especially if you put a little dish soap in the water, and it
also keeps heat from building up in the fresh paint.  Once you try it you
will immediately understand.

Use a sanding block.  Auto paint stores sell thin flexible rubber pads with
holes in them for wet sanding.  In the tightest places you can tear off a
piece and use your finger.  Auto paint stores also sell the fine grit paper.
You will never see 1000, 2000 or 3000 in home depot.

Regards,

Grant