Re: [oletrucks] oletruck maintenance schedule

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] oletruck maintenance schedule
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:52:50 EST
1--Get a shop manual from one of the many old truck parts vendors.

2--"Cross" rotating tires was for the days when bias ply tires were around.
If you now run radials, only rotate front to back, back to front.  The story
is that running radials in opposite rotations like that can cause belt
separation.  If you're using bias plys, then the owner's manual is correct.

3--Packing the wheel bearings is pretty easy if messy.  The 58 shop manual
says, "remove the front wheels [and implied is also taking off the spindle
nut and hub], apply 1/16" of wheel bearing lubricant on the spindle hub and
[also] knead it, by hand, into the bearings".  I've always cleaned the
bearings in gasoline before repacking.  I notice that a quick glance at the
shop manual says that the bearing adjustment is 33 ft-lbs and that the hub
should be rotated while tightening. . .this is for the TF trucks; I would
guess the AD's are similar.  I have always just gone by feel and how freely
the wheel moves and have never had any trouble.  My dad showed me 30 years
ago. . .

4--You shouldn't have to flush the cooling system that often now; the biggest
issue will be how much corrosion has already been built up.  Use a good grade
antifreeze and it should last for several years at least (some now claim
5yr/100K miles).  Never go to the max that is claimed and you should be ok.

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN
58/56 Chevy Suburban
59 GMC Suburban