Re: [oletrucks] Original or Custom

To: "Sean Nygren" <spnygren@visto.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Original or Custom
From: "kirk pierce" <kpierce@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:53:24 -0600
Sean,

I know the feeling.  I have wrestled with this question myself regarding my
'57 chevy 1/2 ton stepside.  It is not completely original.  It came with a
6 cylinder engine that was junk when I got the truck.  The previous owner
had taken it apart and let it get rained on for a few years.  I don't know
if it was rebuildable before that or not.  My grandfather who was in the saw
mill busines bought buses and stuff for parts for his log trucks.  There was
a good V8 in a '57 Chevy bus and I got it and put it in my truck.  The
numbers on the block do show up as a '57 according to a restorer that I
spoke with.

I have decided to go back stock.  With the '57 motor, it is "close enough"
for me.  It still had the 3 speed column shift.  I was able to locate
overdrive tailshafts at junkyards and took my good 3 speed and the parts to
a trans man and he put together the overdrive on my transmission.  I still
have the original rear end with 3.90 gears but with the overdrive it runs
out good on the highway.

My truck is rough, needing a stepside bed because of rust.  It also needs
some sheet metal on the cab floor.  Also needs two front fenders and "pocket
work" where the door hinges attach to the cab.  Also needs skins on bottom
of both doors and some glass.

Wouldn't be worth fixing if it wasn't so good mechanically.  Probably still
isn't, but what does logic have to do with anything?

Is a your 347 the original engine for '57 GMC?  If so, I vote ORIGINAL!

Good luck whichever way you go..   By the way, I am in Birmingham, Alabama
and don't really know where to take a truck for bodywork.  Anyone have good
referneces around Birmingham or Memphis?