RE: [oletrucks] Original or Custom

To: "'dcvjrv@covad.net'" <dcvjrv@covad.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Original or Custom
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:59:25 -0600
I assume that you mean the ivory colored knob with the 3 rings cut into it.
I have the remnants of one on a lever I rescued from a junk yard.  It was
from a 56 101.  That is the only one I've ever seen and it is about 75%
missing.  I made my knob from a black stock 3 speed Chevy knob.  I filled
the too-large hole with JB weld, waited a few days for it to set up and then

drilled and tapped it for the threads on the GMC Hydra-Matic shift lever.
It looks good and there are very few people that would know it didn't come
that way (but I'm not a resto-freak who has to have all the screw heads
pointing the same may, etc.)

Pee-Wee, a (ex?) member of the oletruck list, has a picture of the real
thing one on his web site at http://members.tripod.com/P-Wee/id26.htm
<http://members.tripod.com/P-Wee/id26.htm>
Look near the bottom of the page.  As long as you are there you could
drool over the picture of the clock.

I have a set of ivory colored deluxe heater knobs in as-new condition.
I'm planning on hanging on to them even though my interior looks better
with the black and chrome Chevy knobs.

I also have a 55-60 Master Parts Book at home.  I'll look up the part number

of the knob tonight and send it to you.  Maybe you can get lucky at a
web site such as http://www.automobilearchives.com/Just%20Arrived.htm
<http://www.automobilearchives.com/Just%20Arrived.htm>