[oletrucks] paint for beginners

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] paint for beginners
From: "Greg Green" <greg@a1glass.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:34:27 -0600
I'm new here so please be patient.

This is my first truck in over 20 years and my first frame of restoration plus
I've forgotten more than I ever knew.  It's a 48 Chev. that is going to be my
"hot rod".

My question has to do with paint.  The truck is in primer and is almost ready
for assembly.  This is where I need some direction.  I have assumed all along
that the parts (fenders, cab, inner fenders, etc.) would need to be painted
SEPARATELY before final assembly in order to get that quality fit and finish
look.

I went to see the local hot rod restorer paint guy and he said "no" assemble
it first.  I cannot see this being right for a frame off restoration.

I have no paint experience so the option of doing it myself is out. I know
that I'm not the only guy that has one of these "projects" in his garage and
had to take it out for the paint work.  I am sure that many of you have been
down this road yourself and any tips and help is appreciated.

Greg Green