RE: [oletrucks] paint for beginners

To: "haist" <haist2@home.com>, "Greg Green" <greg@a1glass.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] paint for beginners
From: dcvjrv@covad.net
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:48:05 -0500
The paint shop where all of my work is being done removes the fenders,
doors, hood, deck lid on all repaint jobs and cuts in all of the
edges.  Then he reinstalls them and paints the rest of the vehicle.

Jim V.

  10:03 PM 3/22/01 Thursday, haist wrote:
>I prefer the process of painting pieces separately.  I have a house full of
>freshly painted doors, fenders, bed parts, hood pieces, etc. to prove it.
>There is no way a complete paint job on an assembled vehicle can achieve the
>detail quality of a piece by piece job.
>
>Having said that, I can think of an exception and an alternative process.
>IF you're painting with a metallic paint, you want consistency from panel to
>panel, not possible the other way.  In this case, your paint guy is correct
>but for the sake of detail, paint all edges, door jambs, etc. BEFORE
>assembly.
>
>That's my $.02 on the subject, anyway.
>
><><
>Whitney Haist
>Orinda, CA
>Chevy trucks: 2-'46s & a '39
>www.jps.net/haist/artdeco.htm <http://www.jps.net/haist/artdeco.htm>

Jim V.
1958 GMC Suburban Carrier Pickup (Cameo style) - V8 Hydramatic
http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/mi2/jrvvehicles
dcvjrv@covad.net