[oletrucks] How to install a Mast Bearing with the horn wire

To: "Oletrucks \(E-mail\)" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] How to install a Mast Bearing with the horn wire
From: "Jim House" <jhouse@ccsolution.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:56:15 -0400
I have found and purchased an original "GM Steering Shaft Upper Bearing
Assembly" (Mast Head) group number 6.521 part number 264887 for my 46.  Now
according to what I can put together, I am to solder the wire from the horn
to this unit.  I have the gourmet for the bottom where the wire will enter
the steering tube jacket.  I can get the wire up from the bottom however my
question is where do I solder the wire?  The whole Mast Head looks to be
brass.  There is a indentation on the outside of the Mast that I would guess
where the wire would go.  This area is rubbed clean and shinning.  The rest
of the Mast seem to be covered in some type of coating - is this some kind
of insulation so the steering wheel cap when pushed down will completed the
circuit?   This position would fit the wire between the outside of the Mast
and the inside of the Jacket.  I think this position would complete the
circuit and I would have the horn on all of the time - not desirable;>  Am I
wrong in thinking that the Jacket is grounded (or the inside)?    I am
guessing this is very simple however I wanted to ask the list prior to
removing my steering wheel and trying this out.  I feel better having a plan
rather than just shooting from the hip.  Once I solder the wire I think that
I am pretty committed.

Any and all input welcomed - I am now just guessing what I need to do.....

Thanks,
Jim House
Hollis, NH