Re: [oletrucks] Fw: gmc tow truck (advise)

To: stever@carr.org, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fw: gmc tow truck (advise)
From: John Dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:16:19 -0400
Jay,

Something's not right there. A 503 should not fit into a 2 ton, it's
just too freaking big. Also the 503 in '48 wasn't offered in less than a
5XX series (I.E. 520, 540 etc.). The book says most it should have had
was a 270. A 503's head is 30" long though.

Having said that I think that you may have a larger truck than you
think. The easy to tell is if the headlights are styled into the fenders
like the 1/2 tons or mounted on top in separate buckets. Go look at the
picture of my firetruck, it's got the 503.

It's possible that someone put a 503 (or 426) in a smaller truck if so
it was a piece of work.

About parts: they are just not available, you can get fan belts, and
fel-pro still lists a full gasket set but that's all I've found. Given
that fact the engine is worthless, you should immediately pull it out
and ship it prepaid to me to dispose of for you, my address is John
Dorsey, Wauchula FL 33873 :-)

If it is a 503 it may not need a rebuild for a loooong time. They were
almost bulletproof. The only thing that easily kills them is over-reving
be sure the governor works!

As I told the group before I have a collection of older factory manuals
for these trucks and will share information with all.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL