RE: [oletrucks] Lug Nut Removal

To: "Jim House" <jhouse@ccsolution.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Lug Nut Removal
From: RobertHeil@hellausa.com
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:02:51 -0400
Jim,
You wrote:
"How can I get the nut out of the 18MM socket?"
Very simple.  Like most of us, you probably have half a dozen old 5lb
coffee cans under the work bench full of bolts and nuts too large to fit in
the mayonaise jars you usually use to store them.  Find a bolt the same
diameter and thread pattern as the wheel stud, and longer than the socket
you are trying to remove it from.  Run the bolt up from the bottom of the
socket thru the stuck lug, so that it protudes thru the opening in the top
of the socket.  Set the socket on bench vice and whack the end of that bolt
till it and the lug comes out.  Just keep turning the bolt into the lug if
it doesn't come out on the first or second whack.
No need for heat or Jack Daniels in this particular exercise.

Re. your p.s.:  No, I didn't see the American in the Marathon yesterday,
but I did see the new snow on the ground here in Detriot this morning!
Yikes!!

Bob Heil
'51 3600 in pieces