Re: [oletrucks] Road tar removal

To: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>, "Mark A. Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Road tar removal
From: "Mike " <passnb4u@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 8:31:8 -0700
----- Original Message -----

From: Jays
Mail

Self ;joe

Sent: 5/24/01 12:51:25 AM

Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Road tar
removal

Along the same lines I have old undercoating the plus being it not
all

rusted out minus being how do you get that crap off (it cracked and
falling

off in places) it's  like 1/8 thick tar. I think a heat gun would
just make

a bigger mess but what do I know. I'm open to suggestions though.

just took off the front clip last night that was the easy part I'm
finding

out now the real work begins. not even shure why I took it off other than
it

just looked like it would make removing the original 265 easier and
make

cleaning up the engine compartment a whole lot easier as well.

know I'm headed down that old familiar trail ie why not paint the
grill,

why not refurb the fenders, why not rebuild the front end, and I just
wanted

to remove the engine and paint the engine compartment.

That Poem pretty much sums this truck up. I have about $150 in it so
far

but I see a multiple of about 100  to finish it ., oh well got to
love em I

guess. owning your own used truck parts business helps keep the cost
down

some as well

Jay Baker www.expage.com/chevylikearock

  Hey Jay,

  I ha dthe thick stuff on my '59 as well, once I got underneath it,
it peeled off pretty easily with a putty knife.  I'd have left it on
myself, but there were few spots where i could see that the water/moisture had
gotten into and started rusting.

  Only thing is once i removed it from the floorboard area, it felt
like a summer heatwave in the cab.