Re: [oletrucks] Whats wrong with this picture?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Whats wrong with this picture?
From: Stkcode <stkcode@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 21:30:36 -0700 (PDT)
Your absolutely correct.  The steering linkage should
be as straight as possible with the least amount of
u-joints.  This keeps a nice smooth action when
turning the wheel and helps keep binding to a minimum.
 I would assume with the way it is set up now that it
accasionally binds.  What type of column is in the
truck?  The only thing I could think of to solve this
problems since it appears its not the stock column
would be to mount a late model saginaw steering sector
on the inside of the wheel well.  Cut a small section
out for the linage and run it through the inner
fender.  The linkage would not be straight with the
gear box but it would be close and would have only 2
u-joints.  Also, I suggest using a "slip joint" on the
column end.  I see the setup now doesn't have one.  If
you put a load in the back, the cab will move some as
designed, and then the lingage will most likely bind
big time.  Heres a link to what I was talking about
with using a saginaw steering sector...

http://www.classicperform.com/power2.htm

Let me know which way ya go, I have the linkage pieces
CPP sells, never used, that I'm looking at selling.

Jon
Mod 53 3100 Deluxe

http://www.geocities.com/lifesshortridehard/53linkage.JPG
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

=====
Jon
stkcode@yahoo.com