[oletrucks] Interesting fuel injection site

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Interesting fuel injection site
From: Kirk <kpierce@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:39:59 -0400
I have been considering TBI fuel injection for my '57 1/2 ton stepside
with 283 2bbl and 3 speed manual with overdrive.  Primary reasons are
cold start should be easier, less fogging up the carport during warm up
with unburned gas, possibly better mileage.  TBI preferable over TPI
because closer to stock appearance and can put the original air cleaner
on with an adapter.  My search turned up the following good resource:
 http://www.affordable-injection.com/

Disclaimer:  I have not purchased from this site and have no affiliation
with this site.  However, the owner called me back within an hour of my
original call and proceeded to discuss my particular concerns for the
next 20 minutes.  I obtained his permission to post segments of our
conversation on the oletrucks list.  I hope this information is also
useful to someone else on the list!

Spoke with the owner regarding my questions as follows:

Do I need a separate distributor?
Answer: Not required, (mine is points type) but a newer small cap
external coil electronic would be preferable because the signal from the
points type can be erratic.  Another option is to run the spark off of
the points, but route through an MSD ignition box.  Then run the FI off
the msd.

Does the TBI kit work well with manual transmission?  I am particularly
concerned about the "idle down time" because with a poorly synchronized
manual, the engine will need to return to idle rapidly like a carbureted
engine for smooth shifting.
Answer:  There are adjustments.  If the return to idle is not quick
enough, we can compensate.

If I later decide to go to a 4 barrell intake, can I simply swap the TBI
body and keep the existing computer, wiring harness etc...
Answer:  Would never recommend 4 barrell FI on engine smaller than 350.
350 would need to be pretty stout to provide enough signal.  Best to
leave 4bbl to the big block engines.

Why do I need external fuel pump?
Answer: Mechanical on the engine is not needed.  External electric fuel
pump provides the pressure (regulated) to the correct psi.

Any type of pickup change to the fuel tank?
Answer:  Yes.  Will need a return line back to the tank.  Can be put in
the filler neck or get a different setup for the top of the tank.

Any other considerations?
Answer.  Need a good clean tank.  New tank or get a radiator shop to
clean existing tank.

Will I get good cold crank and smooth idle while warming up.... Quciker
driveoff?
Answer:  Definitely

Will I get better mileage?
Answer:  Maybe.  Depends on driving habits and how lean the carb was.
Typical install nets about 4% improvement.... but results vary.