Re: [oletrucks] Questions

To: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Questions
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:13:24 -0800
Bob,

There are some advantages to buying a 3/4 T. First, they come with an open
driveline, second, they usually have a four-speed transmission, the three
speeds were an adaptation of the car transmission and not up to the task in
a pickup. I have overhauled or replaced many of the three speeds over the
years but only one four speed. The 3/4s have better brakes and after 52 (I
believe) had bendix brakes. The disadvantage is that they are heavier and
not as adept at tooling around town and  the resale value is lower
although, not by much 15-20% probably. You can put 16 inch wheels on them
by using Ford wheels (I have an extra set)

I doubt that the one you are looking at has a 302. Those were typically
offered in the big trucks 2 1/2 ton. It more likely has a 248 or if you're
lucky, a 270. All are much better engines that the dipper Chevrolet motors
offered prior to 54.

Hope this helps.

-Tom Allen

At 04:36 PM 11/5/01 -0700, Bob KNOTTS wrote:
>I have a couple of questions (or more) 1. Is there any reason NOT to buy a 3/4
>ton GMC 50-51 pick-up rather than a 1/2 ton? 2. Is there a website around that
>describes the planetary(?) overdrive that Chevy seems to have had in the 50's
>pick-ups? Or was this an aftermarket item? 3. Does someone make an adapter to
>use a modern overdrive auto or 5 speed manual transmission with the original
>(302) GMC six cylinder engine? I would like to switch to an open driveline
>anyway as I would like a locking differential. Thanks, Bob in PHX

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA