[oletrucks] Radiator problem

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Radiator problem
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:51:46 -0700
Tom, can you tell if the radiator is overheating? You might want to take it
out somewhere where you can pull over and see if there is any steam. If it's
just plain overheating you need to do a couple of things; 1 remove the
radiator, take it to a good radiator shop, have it rodded and pressure tested.
Then, if there are any leaks, have it repaired unless the shop says it's gone.
If it's shot, the shop may be able to use your radiator and put in a new core.
2. (I don't know if they still let you do this). Get a heavy duty cleaning kit
which allows you to back flush your cooling system. Put your radiator back on,
use new hose clamps (the kind which srcrew down) proceed as per the kits
instructions, flush the system until the water is clear. When I drain the
system, I open one end of the bottom rad. hose. The petcock on the bottom of
the rad. isn't that effective. If your system is clean, put in a 50/50
solution of a known brand of anti-freeze, and DISTILLED water.Regular water
has lots of mineral deposits, which seem to have a real affinity to cooling
systems.You may have to have a shop clean your system. I haven't done this for
a few years.The motor pool at the state agency I retired from said DON"T use
regular tap water.Then I'd check the clamps to make sure they don't leak at
least once a month for a couple of months. I live in Phoenix, AZ. I've been
here for 23 years. I just would not take chances with the cooling system. If
you're short of money, you're better off not driving the rig until you can do
it right. (I've tried taking some shortcuts). Bob