Re: [oletrucks] Virus warning.

To: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Virus warning.
From: Miq Millman <miq@hevanet.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:46:58 -0800 (PST)
MKlepp4335@cs.com says:

> In a message dated 11/27/01 9:52:30 AM Central Standard Time,
> antonio@innercite.com writes:
>
> <<  just received two emails from list members that may not be aware their PC
>  are infected with some sort of macro viruses. The emails came with hidden
>  attachments with names such as "hamster.doc.pif", "card.doc.pif". >>
> I got one too.

Reminder here:  The list server will not allow attachments to go through,
so you can not get a virus from the list.  However, if you have posted
something someone else thought was worthwhile (ie saved it) or sent a
message directly to someone on the list and they are infected, then it is
possible to have a message directly sent to you from their computer by some
viruses.

Best protection is to not use a program that has access to the launch layer
of windows (Outlook and Outlook express are notorious).  I would encourage
anyone that needs to read mail on a PC (I don't) to look at Eudora or even
use Netscape's messanger.

I've never been hit with a virus on my PC with nearly 20 years of network
connection and email.  I don't run a virus checker, I just am very careful
with how I handle attachments.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@bigllama.com