Re: [oletrucks] 1950's GMC's

To: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1950's GMC's
From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:40:02 -0800
I've had a 48 half ton and now have a 51 one ton. If you plan to stick with
stock suspension I'd get a model with tube-type shocks. They are much
cheaper when you have to replace them. The knee-action shocks were
dreadfully expensive 30 years ago when I looked into it for my 48. It may
be better now but tube types are cheap and available and you can put on
modern gas shocks from KYB or whoever, a big improvement.

UP through 51 you'll find lever-type door handles. The push-button latches
were a big improvement starting in  52 but unfortunately are difficult to
retrofit to the earlier cabs. 1951 doors are unique in that they have lever
handles and vent windows, making them difficult to find if you should need
one. Huck brakes were replaced with Bendix  for the 51 model year on the
half tons and maybe the 3/4 tons. Bendix is much better and parts are
currently available -- not so for Huck. Drums are not available but other
parts may be but may be expensive. You can retrofit with Bendix parts. On
the one tons, Huck brakes were replaced in  52, I believe. All this applies
to Chevrolet so your mileage may vary for GMC but its probably similar.

-Tom

At 12:18 PM 11/30/01 -0700, Bob KNOTTS wrote:
>Is there any year of GMC that I should steer clear of? I imagine some years
>are better than others, but a lot of the choice will be made for me because of
>limited availability. Also, I suspect I'll have to buy something close to
>home, as I have no means to transport a truck. I imagine it's pretty expensive
>to have someone transport it for you. Does anyone have any idea who does this,
>and abt what it costs? Thanks, Bob K in PHX

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA