Re: [oletrucks] truck pictures needed

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] truck pictures needed
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:42:54 -0600
The information given in the two web pages listed below (Thanks Wayne) is
great.  I've seen these types of sideboards on farm trucks that were used
to haul hay, livestock to market, etc.

I'm also interested in the lower sideboards that only come up two or three
boards on the sides and front, with nothing in the back.  I've seen this on
several trucks some time ago.  Seems that I remember these being mostly on
business trucks (delivery, craftsmen, etc.).  On most, the top side boards
were not quite as long as the lower side boards.  These low sideboards
really look good on an old Advanced Design or Art Decco truck (probably on
the Task Force trucks also).  New pictures of this setup would be nice, but
I'm sure that it would be possible to design your own based on the photos
given on the web pages.

BobK
51 3600 5-window
Arnaudville, LA

                    Wayne Osborne

                    <wayne@chevytrucks.o        To:     "Bruce Marshall"
<k1aj@bellatlantic.net>,
                    rg>                         "oletrucks posting"
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
                    Sent by:                    cc:

                    owner-oletrucks@auto        Subject:     Re: [oletrucks]
truck pictures
                    x.team.net                  needed

                    12/04/01 08:57 AM

                    Please respond to

                    Wayne Osborne

Jeff Nelson had some excellent write ups on all sorts of AD bedwood. His
website http://www.chevytrucks.org/jeff/
click on the left frame technical article and there is a setup for the
original style "side planks" as some folks refer to them. He's got photos
and all of the setups.  Also go to
http://www.chevytrucks.org/wayne/57trucks.html
first one you'll see is Brian truck, although under Mark name it has what
looks to be an original setup as well. Although there are some variations,
these are good ones to start. Jeff site has all the wood list allready made

up with specification on the lumber.      Hope this helps--wayne

At 08:41 PM 12/3/01 -0500, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>Now that I have my '51 p/u back on the road I want to make wooden stake
>sides (is that what it's called?) for the bed.  Is there any "right" way
>build these?  Does anybody have pictures of this kind of thing that they
>could forward to me or direct me to a web address?
>
>I'm thinking about using oak for the wood and carriage bolts for the
>hardware.
>
>Bruce Marshall
>Boston, MA
>'51 Chevy AD 1/2 ton