Re: [oletrucks] More on doors

To: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] More on doors
From: "Bob Chansler" <rchansle@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 16:27:02 -0700
Joe,
Do you have any pictures of what the door looks like with the bear claw
latches? When I look at the latch and the current 1949 door, it looks like
the latch should go almost completely on the outside of the door. Either
that or the "pin" would need to stick out several inces from the frame. I
cant picture how these would work on these old doors.
Thanks,

Bob Chansler

                    "joe"

                    <chevy1@jps.net>           To:     "Old Chevy Pickup"

                    Sent by:                    <oldchevypickup@hotmail.com>,
"oletrucks"
                    owner-oletrucks@auto        <oletrucks@autox.team.net>

                    x.team.net                 cc:

                                               Subject:     Re: [oletrucks]
More on doors

                    11/06/2001 01:12 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "joe"

I installed the larger Bear Claw Latches with the metal hardware your
describing on my Nephews 48 GMC a few months ago.

Tips"

1. Adjust the door to line up the body lines with the cab before you begin
to install the new Bear Claw latches.  This way your able to adjust the
door
later and still be within the movement area of the striker bolt.  If your
hinge pins are worn, replace them first!

2. Remember where your gas tank is located.....right behind the seat if
stock so be careful with the welder and sparks.  I drained the tank and
removed the seat and carpet.

3. Tack the parts on first and try opening and closing the door a few times
before final welding.

I installed the latch in almost the same location as the original "maybe a
tad higher" due to clearance problems with the glass vertical guide
channel.
Although his was a 48 with the metal frame around the glass and yours only
has the glass "No Frame", the distance is still the same between the back
of
the vertical guide and the latch mechanism.  See, your going to run into
clearance problems with the back of the latch mechanism and the glass
vertical guide channel in the door.  What I did was make sure to reinstall
the vertical guide channel and even have the glass rolled halfway down to
make sure the channel bolted back on to the door and didn't touch the latch
mechanism.  Then with the latch mechanism bolted to the metal frame you
purchased, slide it into the door and tack it to the door jam.  I took a
piece of a cardboard and taped it to the back of the latch so I'd be sure
have some additional clearance.  You don't want to have the latch mechanism
sticking to far out of the door because then your going to run into
clearance problems with the jamb.

I just took a marker and with the door closed marked roughly where the
latch
center was to located the striker.  You'll have to do a little more
fabrication on the jam side to attach the striker hardware then you think
but it's not that hard.

The Bear Claw Latches close really nice!  You'll have to get use to closing
the doors and constantly reminding the passengers how easy they close.

Joe