RE: [oletrucks] Air Compressors

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Air Compressors
From: "S Schmidt" <sheldon@ssmachine.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:04:38 -0800
   The 2 stage compressors will typically be more of an industrial type,
therefore have a better service life  (built to run longer), and cost is
also higher.  Keep in mind as you go to 175 PSI It takes a lot more energy
to pump the pressure that high, it causes a lot more load on the mechanical
system of the pump, your plumbing in your shop needs to be heavier ($$$)....
all of this just for a little more storage capacity..Might be easier to put
a second storage tank in the attic. I ran a sears 2 stage 4hp for about 6
years.  As my needs increased I replaced the tired 4hp 20 gal unit with a
Atlas Capco compressor, 10hp screw with chilled air dryer, and 180 gal of
air storage.  My loading pressure is set at about 90 psi and unload at 105
psi.  The manufacturer said it will easily pump upto 125 psi but limiting it
to 105 will double the pump life.  As far as electrical power...if you have
3 phase in your shop, go to a 3 phase motor.  If you only have single phase
(most "home" shops) stay with a single phase motor. You might also watch for
businesses that are closing and auctioning off their equipment.  With the
economy the way it is, there is very little competition at the auctions.
Sometimes you can snag an used industrial unit for VERY reasonable price.