Re: [oletrucks] air compressor questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] air compressor questions
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: 12 Dec 2001 14:42:04 -0800
I researched this a while back and ended up buying an upright Sears 60gallon,
12 cfm, 5hp, aluminum compressor w/steel liner. . .mostly because I had a stash
of Sears gift certificates built up; otherwise I may have gone with a
Campbell-Hausfeld or Porter-Cable.  Parts are easier to come by for the Sears
but you may need to buy parts more often. . .interesting trade-off.

The only real issue is to stay away from the oil-less compressors.  Besides the
other issues on  the list, they wear out much faster than a regular compressor
if you really use it.  When I told Sears what I wanted it for, they even said
that it wasn't the right technology for the job.  Basically they have to be
rebuilt every few hundred hours of operation. . .don't remember the exact
number.

Otherwise, everything else is a trade-off of cost vs performance and how much
you want to put up with.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Chevy Suburban
59 GMC Suburban