Re: [oletrucks] Lowering TF Leaf Springs

To: McGillis@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Lowering TF Leaf Springs
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:02:33 -0600
Dennis:

Here's my 2 cents worth.  I'm planning to do the same thing this winter to
my '56, and have gotten several messages from other members that going
monoleaf may not be the best alternative (cost or ride-wise). Most front-end
monoleaf ads I've seen start at about $350.00 (and that's not including new
shackles, pins and bushings you may or may not need).  Also several who have
gone to monoleaf comment that they don't care for the 'new' ride.

More than a couple have advised me to remove the third and fifth leaf (with
the first leaf being the largest/strongest and the sixth leaf the smallest).
  This should lower your stance about 2-3 inches, shouldn't require any
change in shocks (or shock mounts), and will still give you a satisfactory
ride. As long as you plan on using the stock engine or a small block
replacement, I don't think over-stressing the springs would be a problem.
If you plan to drop-in a big block engine or want better handling, consider
either beefing-up what you have or switching to an IFS (independent front
suspension).

Another member suggestion I've followed-up on is to replace the
liner/insulation between the leafs while you have the springs apart.  I just
bought a roll of poly ride liner material from Chevy-Duty (item # 74-935,
catalog page 59) to put between the leafs when I have mine apart.  The claim
is the new liner material will eliminate metal-to-metal rubbing between the
leafs and give a quieter ride.  The roll has enough for both front and back
springs and while I wasn't especially wild about the price ($50.00 +
shipping), I thought it a small price to pay for a quiet ride or taking them
apart later to fix a noise problem.

I'll probably do the front spring work on my truck in late-January or
February while I'm doing a power steering conversion.  Please post your
decision and/or progress to the oletrucks message board so others like me
can learn from your experience. Good Luck

Carl Ham
'56 TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL