[oletrucks] metal preservation

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] metal preservation
From: "Gene Merritt" <gmerritt@netins.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:06:59 -0600
What is the best way to preserve my rusty ol'truck before I can start
working on it?

I'd like to be able to blast/hammer/sand/prime a fender at a time, but I'm
afraid that I would actually accelerate the decay if I don't actually apply
paint.  Would it be sufficient to use an aerosol can of primer to cover any
exposed metal (realizing  that I would completely re-sand and re-prime when
I went to paint it for real.)

Primer really isn't intended for exposure to elements...that's why we have
paint, right?

I know aerosol cans are expensive, but so is the amount of paint I'd waste
cleaning the gun after only painting one fender.

Any other suggestions?  What has everyone else done?

Gene Merritt
'46 Chevy 1/2