[oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.

Subject: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.
From: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:59:38 -0700 (MST)
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how tight to make the pinion flange nut on my '58
rear axle. The manual asks you to record the torque it takes to spin the
axle. When you put the pinion flange nut back on, the manual says to
incrimentally torque the nut while checking the preload against the
previously recorded torque. this is a very small number (<20 in-lbs!), so
I'm finding it hard to believe that I need to only torque this nut to such
a small setting.  The Book makes no mention of a preload torque. Has
anyone encountered this situation? Thank you.
-alfie