Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] pinion flage nut question.
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:00:25 -0500
If wrong i'm sure someone will correct me.....  Thats sounds about the
correct amount of torque..This setting is directly related to the tightness
of the rear end gear mesh-to tight as mentioned below and it'll overheat
and fail. Here's a bit more info the subject: Search the archives for many
other emails on the subject..   Rear end setups can be tricky as to why
most folks let the pros do it. A bad setup and you can ruin a 400 dollar
ring/pinion gears--wayne

be sure new crush sleeve is used. be sure big flat washer that goes
behind the retaining nut is used.......(i have seen them left out).....use a
new retaining nut.........use lock tight red on the threads when you
install the nut......it takes about 200 ft-lbs of torque to crush the
sleeve......
so i use my 3/4 drive socket and 4ft handle to do the pulling.....i have a
open end wrench that fits the outside of the yoke to hold it......i let it
turn up against the floorboards or frame to lock it in
place..........carefully
turn down the nut crushing the sleeve until there is no fore and aft move
,ment in the pinion shaft......turn just a little bit tighter......so it takes
about12-15 inch-pounds of torque to twist the pinion shaft in direction
of operation............test drive it......under35 mph........ for 35
mins....and check the housing near the yoke for heat buildup.....you should
be able to hold your hand on the housing with no pain...............if you
assemble it too tight it will run hot and fail     From:jerry mungon

At 09:59 AM 1/22/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm trying to figure out how tight to make the pinion flange nut on my '58
>rear axle. The manual asks you to record the torque it takes to spin the
>axle. When you put the pinion flange nut back on, the manual says to
>incrimentally torque the nut while checking the preload against the
>previously recorded torque. this is a very small number (<20 in-lbs!), so
>I'm finding it hard to believe that I need to only torque this nut to such
>a small setting.  The Book makes no mention of a preload torque. Has
>anyone encountered this situation? Thank you.
>-alfie

Wayne Osborne
1956 Chevy Pickup
LaGrange Ga.