[oletrucks] Point Gap - Dwell Conversion

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Point Gap - Dwell Conversion
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:43:39 -0600
Hi All

Don't know if this is any great help but My motors manual for Chevrolet
under Distributor Specifications show for Point Gaps of .022" the Cam. Angle
Degrees or Dwell should be 31 - 37 degrees.  For Point Gaps of .019" - .016"
the Dwell should be 38 - 45 degrees.  I have found that with the
distributors on the 6 cylinders the dwell meter bounces a lot while trying
to set the points.  My resolve to this is to put a light across the points
rotate the crankshaft until the light goes out, points open mark a reference
point on the crank pulley and block then continue to rotate the crank until
the light comes back on, points close, then make another mark on the crank
pulley adjacent to the mark on the block.  move the crank pulley back until
the mid point of the marks on the crank pulley lines up with the reference
mark on the block.  This will put the point at their maximum open position.
Then simply set the gap using .019" for new and .016" for used.  If you have
a good feel with your feeler gauge you can be dead on.  Once you are happy
with your adjustment ensure the lock down screw is tight, reinstall the
rotor and cap.  Hook up your dwell meter and start up the engine.  You
should be well within the range specified above.

Good Luck

Mac
52 Chev 1300 - Currently in the garage and frozen but looking forward to
spring.  By the way temp. for us tonight, south east Manitoba is -36'C or
Damn Cold whichever way you look at it!